About Me

My photo
Cloverdale, Oregon Coast, United States
I have a lovely wife Arlene, five children, eight grandchildren and, at last count, 14 great-grandchildren. I retired in 2000 and drove a school bus part time for a few years. I guess you can see that kids are important to me. I sure miss those school kids.

Monday, April 6, 2009

Auto Restoration Continued

Soon after moving to California, our youngest child started school and my wife began to be restless with no kids in the house. She soon found a job and a second car became a necessity. I found a small car that would fill that requirement, plus it met my criteria for restoration. It was a 1959 Nash Metropolitan hardtop coupe. The body appeared to be solid, although there were signs of body putty, and the interior was in poor condition. The little Nash had an American style body over an English Austin engine and running gear.
My restoration project never got off the ground but it provided me with good economical transportation. I commuted from Camarillo to Oxnard, CA until I decided to retire from the electronics field. The little Metro made several trips between Camarillo and Burns, OR, where we had decided to return to our roots. The Metro was used for second car In Burns until the engine finally died. Again my restoration project faded into obscurity.

Several years later my career led me back to Maryland. Again, the old tow bar came out and the Metro was towed to Maryland where it sat in our driveway for several years The Metro was finally sold several years later to a 16-year old boy in Maryland who promised me he would let me see the restored car. Although I never saw it again, I hope he was more successful than I was. Perhaps it has joined the large contingent of restored Nash Metropolitans in the US.

No comments: