About Me

My photo
Cloverdale, Oregon Coast, United States
I have a lovely wife Arlene, five children, eight grandchildren and, at last count, 14 great-grandchildren. I retired in 2000 and drove a school bus part time for a few years. I guess you can see that kids are important to me. I sure miss those school kids.

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Prepare for Emergencies

Be prepared! Remember the Boy Scout motto. Everyone should be prepared for emergency situations and especially those who live in remote areas. This message was driven home to me during our recent December, 2008 snowstorm. We live in the Coastal Range Mountains of Oregon. Since we are at a low altitude of 400 or 500 feet and are only 12 miles from the beach, we don’t expect much in the way of snow. The December storm dropped nearly three feet of heavy snow on us in a matter of a couple of days. Then, the trees started falling and limbs started falling and we had one of the biggest messes I had ever seen.We have an all-electric home so when the power went out, we lost power, phones, water and heat. We have a long driveway, about an eighth of a mile, and it is very steep. We couldn’t even get down the driveway and if we could have our road was closed with fallen trees and limbs. We did have food but we also have an electric range. We have an RV with a propane stove, but no propane. In other words, we were almost completely unprepared.We do have a small generator and we had about 15 gallons of fuel. About two and a half days later, we ran out of fuel. I began to feel a bit desperate. My wife is frail and can barely walk and I am recuperating from a knee replacement. I got on my old Kubota tractor and started down the driveway with my empty gas cans. I drove over, under and around fallen trees to get down my driveway and headed to town. The state road department had one lane passable by that time. Four hours later, I got back to our driveway with 10 gallons of gas for the generator. I started up the driveway but soon spun out so I left the tractor and began to climb the hill, carrying the two gas cans. I soon gave that up and continued with one can. Because of the deep snow and my bad knee, it was move the can and take a step, move the can and take a step. I finally got up to the house, gassed up the generator and we had limited power. By that time, the house was down to 49 degrees, so my wife welcomed the heat. One-half hour later, the power came on. I was both frustrated and relieved.I spent three days clearing the trees and limbs from the driveway, all the time afraid I would fall, knowing I could not get up. I was near the end of the drive when UPS showed up. I asked the driver to get help for us. A couple hours later, our Good Samaritan neighbor showed up with a big 4-wheel drive tractor. He cleared our driveway sufficiently for us to get in and out.I, for one, will be prepared for the next storm. I will have a supply of water, plenty of fuel for the generator, propane for the RV, first aid kit and anything else I can think of. I would advise one and all to be prepared, regardless of your circumstances. Research for advice on how to be prepared. Snow is not our only danger.

No comments: